Protecting Your Children & New Technology
With all of the new wireless technology that is available to children and adolescents, how can parents protect them from unwanted information? With much of the new technology, parental controls are available. However, most parents aren’t aware of the controls or do not understand to use them.
Learn to ask some basic questions from your wireless provider such as Sprint/Nextel, Verizon, Alltel, T-Mobile, AT&T, and others.
- What parental controls are available on the phone, i-pod, etc.?
- What information does your website have to inform and train parents and grandparents about these concerns?
- What printed materials are available?
- Are there on/off switches for internet connectivity and the camera features on cell phones? If so, who controls the switch and how easy is it to use?
- Are monitoring systems available that parents can use to evaluate the websites being reviewed and the content being accessed?
For detailed information that the National Coalition for the Protection of Children and Families has gathered go to a website they have developed at www.icarecoalition.org. Access the Questions to Ask at Point of Purchase and the Safe Use Agreement on the ICare website.
Matthew 18:14 – It is not the will of the Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish.
Visit www.nationalcoalition.org for more information on the National Coalition for the Protection of Children and Families.